Saturday, December 20, 2008

Impending Maternity

Hey. This latest piece I have been dreaming about making for sometime. No really, I have been wanting to make a blue figure because I wondered what it would look like if I made one NOT painted, but out of blue clay while also keeping up with my latest trend of keeping them rather sculptural. The result is a piece I absolutely love. She is a heavy set pregnant woman who holds three seeds on her hands. The three is archaic, holding allusions to the holy trinity in early Christian art. The figure being blue represents water, water is life and the seeds themselves represent the life she has sewn inside of herself which she has yet to reap the rewards of. Having children is a life changing move and this was her decision. The woman’s face is stoic, she is certain this is her uncertain future. I will likely boil the figure to give it a more rustic and less finished look, the rougher the better.
P.S. The white balance of the photos is off, she really is BLUE, not turquoise.






1 comment:

Ree Ree said...

i love it!!! it's so weird that she reminds me of myself. her body i mean. except for the breasts. but wow!