Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ode to Scleroderma

Another work of art dedicated to the debilitating autoimmune disease scleroderma.
One might think it strange to dedicate a work of art to the illness itself and not to say... my mother, but Its a personal narrative and the condition deserves respect and reverence as it is a force to be reckoned with. It is also my acceptance of it, not glorification.

And so as the figure hold her stone hands near her face, I just want to wisper to her, "its okay to show your hands."


Below from currently glaze ware, to bisque ware, to green ware.


3 comments:

Sherree said...

Wow...this is great! I'm loving your works.

Pedro Ramirez said...

Thanks REE! I love the way the glaze slipped into the crevices making her literally appear to be "turning to stone".

Polly said...

That is absolutely amazing! I have scleroderma and I love this!

Thank you for doing this!!