Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Saturino Herran inspired Tehuana

Saturnino Herran was born in Aguas Calientes, Mexico and attended the San Carlos Academy. He died when he was only 31 years old. Herran rebelled against his academic training and ambraced a more modern style with an emphasis on the senses. Some famous paintings include El Rebozo (the shawl), and El Ofrenda (The Offering, 1913) which are shown below. I used his painting Tehuana (1914) as an inspiration for the latest piece. The image of the Tehuana became a nationalist symbol because the people from the isthmus of Tehuantepec had a matriarchic society. I pay homage to Herran by placing a small reproduction of his painting El Ofrenda which depicts marigolds which are partially abstracted, being taken to pay homage to the dead (for day of the dead). This is a very folk/popular activity being depicted, it depicts everyday life but with an event specific to local culture. Atop of this I put a photo of my late mother and I, after all, I am the artist, shouldn’t the piece have a part of me as well.





No comments: