Saturday, April 28, 2012

Spotted Shino and my education's future

Lets make a note on glaze...
WOW, just WOW, no photos yet, but the spotted shino is an amazing glaze, it looks like oxidized metal in places, glass in others, dark brown in some spots, and a creamy coffee in others, just astoundingly beautiful, I shall use it again!  Photos in a week or so, sorry.

Also lets talk school...
Greenwich house is great, I gotta get some high fire (cone 10) works out before my return to lowfire clay bodies.  We are currently in the Spring term which lasts from April 1 - June 25, that means Im doing well, but really must be focused and not toss any more pots out, I simply must not continue with any if I am not 100% sure that I want to keep it, I would be happy with three nice large sized pots completely glazed and finished by June 25th.  After Greeenwich I plan on returning to City for a spell.

City College Summer session lasts from June 4th to July 24th so there will be some greenwich overlap. I have submitted the application but am not processed yet, hopefully soon because there are only a few seats left in the class I want to take.  I will take the Archetectual Ceramics class and also have access to the facilities and therefore create some awesome pots this summer out of white (grog-free) lowfire earthenware.  The pots will be likely very different visually than these rustic high fired bodies with dark glazes, they will be mostly white or iron-washed clear glazed works. 

After The summer session I hope to have AT MINIMUM Six really top notch works of art, three from Greenwich and three from City which I want to include in my portfolio.  I also want to take an independent ceramics class at City for the Fall semester.

 The Fall semester is somewhat long-lasting its from August 27th until December 12th.  Most Graduate degree programs have an early January application deadline so I must be all prepared and have all my eggs lined up before the end of the semester The pots will be made of lowfire white clay AND the highly grogged terra cotta that is primarily used at City for handbuilding.  It will be an exciting time and I know I will likely have a slew of beautiful works created during this time, probablly actually more than ten and I will have to select the best of the best.  This may be the best semester, I will have time and energy and money for it and will update here as often as I can.

No comments: