Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Double Goddess

Now I must admit that I do not think, "lets make a goddess," when I create the women of the vases, they are figures, outstretched arms representing being open and receptive to all good, letting it in, not really women but allegories to the unseen like the safety and love of the universe, surrounded by natures bounty of abundance.  That said, this is still called double goddess because the figures have their hands up above their heads just like the archaic symbol for the goddess, and lets face it, something is working through me to channell these female figures, and they are most definitely a modern tribute to feminine energy, goddess, universe, mother nature, god, whatever you want to call it.
This work of art is fascinating because I did not use any wheel trimmings to create the little fungi shelves which have been prevelent in my works, everything is handmade and there is a lot going on.  The hand represents the hand thrown and hand shaped clay art itself, fruits of all sorts represent abundance, and birds and flowers and plants are the natural world, allusions to suffolk virginia when miss Fannie Earls (aka grandma) intruduced me to the real natural world.  The textured clay on the right of the figure in the photo (our right) is something I want to explore further in future works.







No comments: